View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Well, I support your efforts to find an alternative, but yes... the bar should bend/break before anything else. Woodcraft and other companies have been doing this for a while now and have replacement bars for $10 MSRP or cheaper from other sources. I know you have a vibration issue you are working on as well, but how about a flexible, weighted insert into the hollow bar?

The first thing I would try is to put the heaviest chain that will fit in the hollow bars. Next I would take lead weight discs, drill a hole in the center of each and string them through the bar (latex dipped). Just some ideas so you can customize the weight and placement. Either end or in the center via small holes drilled in the hollow bar to hold in place.
I've toyed with the idea to fill the bars with melting some lead in the past, but this would only add weight, which I've already fixed with the extra heavy bar ends.

The weak point is the weld, which is located at the riser end, as seen in the photo below. Which is where the bending occurs.

I'm not looking to make the indestructible, like titanium, etc... Just a lower cost alternative to the OEM ones.

If Kawasaki sold the replacement for $10 or even $20 I personally wouldn't waste my time, but when your looking at $120 for the pair, and it will happen again if dropped, then I'm just looking to make them a little bit more durable, not indestructible.

If anyone has recommendations on which kind of material I should look into, I'll consider it, maybe Someone would prefer aluminum round bar? Steel? Hell I personally want stainless steel, but that's just my personal preference.

Keep those comments coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5763887530886822722.jpeg (17.3 KB, 4 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote