View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #20
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Thoughts about the fuel filter

I was looking at the injectors and I noticed the little orifices that the gas comes out of. They are really small - 60 microns.

The kit has a pre-filter. Those are typically 150 micron or bigger so the fuel can flow through them by gravity to the fuel pump. I've seen no data as to how fine the kit filter actually is. Based on what I've been reading, a 150 micron particle will clog the injectors.

I've heard some people refer to the different filter types as high pressure and low pressure. That really refers to where they are installed - the high pressure side of the fuel pump or the low pressure side - and not actually that they can handle higher pressures (which all of them can). The EFI "high pressure" filters are typically 10 micron as far as I can tell.

So for those of you that have the kit installed, if you haven't done so already, you might want to look at installing a 10 micron filter after the fuel pump and before the injectors. I looked online and the prices are all over the place, but here is one that looks reasonable. What do you think?