View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #42
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
My point was not everyone starting out to ride is a broke kid and certainly not in this case. If someone is obviously starting out smart to learn they don't need a financial Lesson from you.
Maybe not, but it's safe to assume that the person may want to save some money... since for 99% of us $5,000 is a lot of money to be spent on a toy. if you read carefully through this then you would realize that when I said that I had no idea he was a multi millionaire. I recommend everyone buy used, you can find a used ninja 300 with ABS for 4,000 on CL with 2,000 miles and runs like a champ... no problems. I think 99% of new riders should start with that opposed to a brand new $5,400 ABS ninja 300... because new riders make more mistakes when it comes to the bike... no one can argue that. It's fact. It's why so many ninja 250's are dropped, because learners start out on them. As for the other 1% like the multi million dollar friend, sure they can clearly afford to spend the extra.. hell, by the way it sounds this guy probably spends that amount of money on someone for Christmas.

If $1,400 extra dollars is literally chump change to someone, then by all means they should get the more expensive bike. There are two main reasons why people buy small bikes, 1. They are forgiving/ easy to learn 2. They are cheap (cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap on gas...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
And Danny, I know you have good intentions, but have you ever ridden a supersport? it's not like they just suddenly kill you, you're in control the whole time.
Nope, I haven't. But I am smart enough to know that supersport bikes are no joke. They will keep your ass in check and I believe 99% of people on here will agree with me, of course no one will openly come out to defend me because let's face it, i'm not exactly liked around here by most. But it's true, most people share the same thought as me. I can look around the forum and find a million posts about why not to start on a 600 and one of those reasons is that it is super unforgiving and one thing that makes it unforgiving is the fact that it has incredibly powerful brakes that are designed to stop you from 165mph to 0 as quick as possible. Yes, you may be technically in control the whole time, but that doesn't mean mistakes never happen... If that were true then everyone would just start on 600's and the ninja 250 wouldn't have a market.

I wish I could find it, but there was a video on youtube that is someone who just bought their cbr600rr and they were on the highway. They just upgraded from a ninja 250 after like a year of riding. There was traffic and he noticed kinda late, not a big deal, he just needed to tap the brake a little, plenty of time to react. But he grabbed it the same way you would grab a 250 brake and he ended up locking up the front and going down on the highway doing like 70. These Dual piston brakes are POWERFUL they are NOTHING compared to the ninja 250's.

By the way you don't need to ride a supersport to know that they are dangerous, but hell, I'm sure someone who's ridden both could explain their thoughts on a newbie on a 600. And if no one wants to chime in since you know, it would be my point you would be defending, then i'd be happy to link you to one of the 1.8 trillion posts/videos/articles explaining why they are dangerous and only for experienced riders.