View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #69
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
@Hero Danny , It's been said several times. Go out and ride a SS, you might be a little surprised at how easy some things are and how difficult other things are.

In my little experience on SS's I was amazed at how easy they are to lug around in 2nd and 3rd gear. They are smooth docile, linear little pussy cats outside of the powerband. Little shifting is required and even if you find your self to low in the revs in 3rd there is still more than enough torque to pull you around.

The brakes are not going to bite you in the ass out of no where, several mistakes leading up to a hamfisting of the brakes will most likely be the cause of an accident, locking up the front is just the icing on the cake

They get a little hot

Pulling out from a stop requires a little more precision and practice, they are easy to stall from a stop If you dump the clutch in anything but the high revs the bike will most likely stall or bog as it struggles to get moving, and we know what happens on the other end

Easier to maneuver than I expected

^just a few things I noticed and with that being said

The main reason for not starting on a SS vs another bike IMO is lack of clutch and throttle control and cash . After that most bikes are pretty similar when riding within the law. But I think a lot of this throttle/clutch stuff can be resolved quickly with proper instruction/teaching/training. So IMO the real problem is lack of proper instruction/teaching/training. Most people who ride motorcycles, even if they are decent at it have no ability to teach the mechanics in a proper/safe manor to others. They generally sit them on a bike and say, do this (well what about after they "do this" and if "doing this" goes wrong? All in all the wrong approach.

I used to teach snowboarding, not something easy for everyone to learn. There are teaching techniques that make it a lot easier for a noob to learn the basics with out putting themselves at risk. It is painful going to a MTN. and watching people send their friends down a slope with little to no proper teaching instruction Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you know how to teach others

If one of my friends wanted to start on a SS with no prior experience I would feel comfortable with it as long as I could spend a day or two with them when they first got the bike going over things and drilling

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote