View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #126
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If you needed to use the difference in power between the 250 and a 600 10 times today to blast out of sketchy situations, something else is going on.

It's not that more power can't be useful at times. It's that the logic of that statement is turned around to say that the moderate power on the 250 makes it a less safe motorcycle. If a rider can't be perfectly safe on the 250 in any conditions up to and including 80+ mph traffic, it's not the bike's fault.
Ten times may have been an exaggeration. I never said the 250 is too weak to be safe. I still ride the 250! I love that bike for what it is. My comment was specifically targeted at those saying that brakes get you out of trouble, and gas gets you in it. Thats a close minded view, I took the chance to put forth a real life situation in which I felt safer accelerating then braking. I rode the 250 on every expressway IN new york. It's perfectly safe, although I will say it requires a different style of riding.

The real point is the 250 isn't too slow, and the gsxr isn't too fast. It's what you can do with whats between your legs. They require you to use there advantages. I still love taking the 250 out on the twisties, especially because I'm not afraid to wreck it (full gear!) and not have a bike. But I will say, when I'm shifting out of 2nd gear before I hit the end of the driveway, I chuckle.

There were so many misconceptions going on about super sport riding in this thread, I had to give my 2 cents on the "torque isn't helpful to stay safe bit".

The other thing I find funny is that a few of you think that because a SS CAN go 50 in first, and 70 in second, that you only use those two gears. It's the ninja mindset that sets in, because the bike is smaller, you pretty much have to ride it in the powerband, the only time I'm not is when I'm lugging in 4th around town at 45-50. Due effect of the powerband on the ninja, it seems unusual to early shift.. its like your missing the best part!
On the gsxr, you obviously have a powerband, but unless your racing, it's almost irrelevant, you still get a ton of torque pre-powerband. I shift into 2nd at 30 before I even HIT the powerband, I shift into 3rd at like 50, also before the powerband. I've wrung the gears out, and I COULD hit 50 in first, and 80 in second, 100 in third. But realistically, thats just not how you ride it, Its unneeded. Do you shift less on the gsxr, absolutely. But there is still a ton more shifting then 1-2-1 repeat lol
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote