Old February 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm wondering if they give coil specs? wire gauge, winding count? trying to find more info about these but can't see much... their measurements such as "Q-Factor" are new to me and i'm wondering exactly what it means...

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor

what i took away from this: good coils have smaller distance between field and output (so coilover plugs are better) and the more stable of a field produced by the coil, the longer the collapse of the field takes, meaning a longer spark and more complete combustion

i'm wondering what changes effect the q factor in these plugs... is it the type/gauge of coil wire used? alloy type? i know things like gold or platinum have much higher consistency compared with standard copper coil... maybe thats the difference?
I got an answer back from Mark regarding your question.

"For obvious reasons we can’t give out exact details since our ignition coil engineering specifications are proprietary to Takai, but to answer the question as best as I can. To improve our ignition coils we address wire gauge size, wire type, winding count, core materials, core design and field design in our ignition coils vs competitor units. All are of importance when it comes to the best overall efficiency of the ignition coil."