View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:22 AM   #3
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Have you done anything with the brakes or are you currently living with stock? Same with the fork, where are you now? Have you changed anything or are you completely at stock? Completely stock, down to original fork oil, bike has 6,500 miles. stock brakes, pads,lines.

There's a few members here who have played with various MC's, bigger rotors, and calipers (and brackets to mate the caliper to the fork) from other bikes for better feel and firmness at the lever.

The issue I see with a fork swap is that unless you have access to machining, you're stuck with using whatever front wheel is normally attached to those forks. Idk about you, I like having matching wheels and a fender that goes with my bike. Maybe this is a non-issue to you, maybe you share my thoughts, YMMV. If you want to keep the stock front end, you can use Racetech emulators (not too expensive) or go all out and retrofit some cartridge internals into the forks (a few different options, but potentially expensive). I guess a fork swap seems like what you'd do if you absolutely cannot find anything that works for you, not the first step. There are plenty of racers on here who have done the cartridge swap with glowing result. Many are also happy with Emulators.
I do have free machining access, though its an engine machine shop. dont know how much help that would be. I have a friend that certainly could do maching for a fair price.
What are my options for brakes? is there a good article or thread i need to see? Thanks for your reply so far.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote