View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:17 AM   #164
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
If I could find the time, I'd tear down the aluminum-frame CR500 [street lega] dirtbike that I bought and get to work on the supermoto conversion.

That black diamond build inspired me so much that I need to duplicate it. I can't afford to go as far as the marchensisi$ forks or w/e the guy used, but damn... that thing was a piece of work.

Does anyone know if it's true that the guy who built it is no longer among the living? I heard a rumor on a forum and if it's true, RIP brother -- you created many beautiful machines and inspired many people.

Now then.... what to do about the crack in this CR500 aluminum frame.. I'll need to add some gussets. Rubber-mounting the motor doesn't seem reasonably possible.
I don't remember the model but when I took my Motorcycle Safety Course I was able to ride a Yamaha that was a street legal dirt bike. It was a blast. I ended up riding a Honda CB250 aka Nighthawk for most of the class including the test but I remember my instructors even saying they'd like to buy one of those Yamaha's. I looked up the CR500 you're referring to and nice. Definitely something I'd consider putting my time and effort into.
As far as the crack might I suggest J-B Weld? I would tape off a very very small area around the crack because if you get that weld all over it looks like ****. But it'll hold under any conditions and hold strong. I sound like a walking advertisement for the weld but I've just been so impressed.