View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:46 AM   #36
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
@CC Cowboy, I forgot something useful. Tony has a "Try The Track" program that might interest Sarah.

It's for people who've never been on the track before, and it's free. Basically you ride the first, follow-the-leader novice group session. Speeds are not high (street pace) but you do get to ride on the track for real and you have an instructor showing you the line. Plus a briefing. Requirements for gear are relaxed for this program. For a Try The Track session, all that's needed is a full-faced helmet, gloves, a motorcycle jacket, and over-the-ankle boots.

This is a fantastic way to dip your toe in at ZERO cost and ZERO commitment.

If you get hooked (and many do), provided the rest of the day isn't sold out you can pay on the spot and ride the full day. If you do that, however, you do need full gear and a prepped bike.

Details are here: http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...-the-track.htm

Follow the links to read about gear and bike prep.

Note also that Tony's bike prep requirements are considerably less stringent than some other organizations. Pretty much it's tape over anything made of glass and make sure your tail light is not visible (blue tape doesn't cut it here... pull the fuse or bulb, or use duct tape). They recommend clamping or wiring the oil filter but do not require it.

Edit: Since she's already signed up for Palmer, a Try The Track at Thompson is a good way for her to know ahead of time what to expect for that first session. First track days can be overwhelming so a little familiarity can go a long way. By the way... I'm going to be renting either a garage bay or a spot in the open shed at Palmer. A bay can accommodate up to four bikes and I'd be happy to split the space and a little of the cost if she's interested. Having someone to hang with at track days is huge and makes the whole experience a lot better.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; March 28th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote