View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Guy Martin takes Superbike double win at Cookstown

Photo: tycobmw.com

TYCO BMW’S Guy Martin won both Superbike races at the KDM Cookstown 100 road races on Saturday in glorious sunshine.

Martin won the non-championship Superbike race from Michael Dunlop who finished just one hundredths of a second behind the Lincolnshire rider. Derek Sheils finished in third despite leading in the early stages.

The KDM Hire Cookstown 100 saw Derek Sheils on the BikeBitsNI Kawasaki take the lead from the start, but as Martin moved ahead Sheils was left to content with Michael Dunlop on the Milwaukee Yamaha.

Michael managed to edge past Sheils on lap 4 of the 10 lap race and it was clear he had his sights set on leading man Martin as the Ballymoney man posted the fastest lap of the race on lap 5. After closing down on Martin, Michael made a move at the end of lap 6 to take the lead, but it all went wrong on the next lap.

The Milwaukee rider high-sided on the exit of Mackney’s on lap 7 which led to a premature end to the race. A result was declared from the opening six laps and therefore Martin was awarded his first win at Cookstown.

Sheils took second with Mar-train Racing’s Dean Harrison placing third on corrected time. William Dunlop on the second Tyco BMW was fourth ahead of B.E. Racing’s Jamie Hamilton and James Cowton completed the top six.

“I could have smoked a Woodbine in that last race, the Superstock BMW was so stable and working just mint," explained Martin.

"I was never under any pressure and when Dunlop came past, I thought, ‘this will give me a chance to have a look at what he is doing and plan my pass for the last lap’.

"We certainly had an advantage on the back part of the circuit and definitely the speed on the front straight to make the pass. It didn’t need to happen, but a good day all round and just what we needed."

Aside from Tyco BMW’s race celebrations, team owner Hector Neil was honoured for his services to the sport as Chairman of the Cookstown and District MCC Kenny Loughran made the presentation.

The Supertwins provided the closest race of the day as the top four were covered by only three quarters of a second and, although Michael had criticism regarding his decision to race for Milwaukee Yamaha, he proved them wrong after leading the race from start to finish.

Michael Sweeney, Hamilton and pole sitter James Cowton didn’t make Michael’s Supertwin win an easy one, as they were right behind from start to finish. This leading four all broke the old lap record and the new lap record now stands with James Cowton.

Derek McGee finished in sixth with Andy Lawson coming from the second wave to take sixth.

It was William Dunlop who dominated the 600-class taking the CD-IC Yamaha to a double in the Championship and Invitation races. Harrison took second from Hamilton in the Invitation races whilst the Championship race was much closer.

Derek McGee took second place in the Championship 600 race on the Wilson Craig Honda machine ahead of Harrison whilst Hamilton finished a lonely fourth place with Sheils in fifth. Seamus Elliot completing the top six. Despite setting the fastest lap of the race, William’s brother Michael retired on lap four.

Up next in the 2015 National Road Racing season is the Tandragee 100 next week.

Related Content

Martin & William remain with Tyco for 2015
Guy Martin wins Southern 100 Senior race
Guy Martin: 'Tyco BMW goes like you know what off a shovel'
IOMTT: Senior race results
William Dunlop joins Guy Martin at Tyco Suzuki

Click here for full story...