Old November 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by poo poo View Post
.......But, should I only squeeze it the .25 inches to switch gears? Or.. can I pull the clutch lever all the way in?

I'm more comfortable pulling it in completely, but perhaps I should only just squeeze it a bit before changing gears.

If I pull the clutch lever in all the way to the handle, will that stress/weaken the clutch cable?
I believe that the degree of pulling is a matter of personal preference: some people like clutch-less change of gears.

The principle remains the same: to disengage the engine from the transmission, partially (for any point within the friction zone) or fully (for any point beyond that).

The main difference of the 300's clutch is being a one-way after certain deceleration load (in order to avoid rear tire's lock-ups and engine's over-rev).

If changing gears feels better, is due to the transmission rather than to the clutch.

You cannot stress/weaken the clutch cable by pulling it even with both hands.

What damages the clutch cable is lack of regular lubrication of the pivots formed by the cable's terminals- levers, which introduces bending loads on the cable.

Last futzed with by Motofool; November 29th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote