View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #174
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
One thing has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the other.
If you don't service your bike at the recommended intervals or slightly beyond, soon you will be having a problem (expensive too), and it has nothing to do with the gas you use. Where do you get that from? Do you really, honestly, believe the higher octane gas is "protecting" your valves so they don't have to be adjusted? I wouldn't buy your bike when you're done with it, it's going to need a lot of work.
And you need to do a little homework other than on here and read up about octane, and read up about why these bikes need valve adjustments. Don't spout off about stuff you don't know about and give out bad advice.
I already got my tappet feeler guages to check the valves. Dealer will check them for 185 if I take the plastics off and just another 15 to change them. They recycle the shims and never have done a new gen so have plenty of used shims to use from other bikes if they fit. But I will likely attempt to do it myself. The valves wear and intrude into the cylinder head tightening them especially the exhaust. So best to find the shim that is on the bottom of the range. Think these 250 have shorter valve adjustment intervals due to the high revs we are constantly at. OK. What are the symtoms of needed valve adjustment. Hard starting is one. So far mine is fine here.
Regards to octane, why we need 87. Think our bikes lack torque due to small cylinder displacement and always in the higher revs. And maybe the the cylinder heads run cooler due to better heat disipation. It doesn't have a knock sensor to retard the timing so if it is not knocking you shouldn't need higher octane. Thing is once carbon starts to develop in the combustion chamber that could increase the compression ratio enough to cause knock. As well as very high ambient temps of summer. At that point maybe go a grade higher in gas.
So what do you think of my thoughts here.

BTW you are very lucky you get the adjust your valves just by loosening your locknut and just turn a screw. Reason why a lot of us are putting it off and relying on other reports of how their clearance was at the first 7500 interval. Based on this info, we think we can go at least 12000 before actually need it. Power to you!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote