View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #17
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

In the mid-2000s, I saw a statistic (so I don't know if it's still accurate) that most motorcycle accidents happen in the second year of riding. The hypothesis was that this is the time when people are 'old' enough at it to get comfy, but still 'new' enough to make most of their mistakes. It sounds like maybe you ride enough to get to your 'second year' danger zone quite a few months early. So that's just to say: be careful, and put your time in.

Also, I see you live in Delaware. Temps are changing, so watch those tires. Even with the mediocre tires on these bikes, the difference between hot and (relatively) sticky, warm and (not un-)sticky, and stone-cold, is the difference between rocketing through the turn stable, sliding a bit and raising your heart rate, and low siding. I had my first temp-related loss of traction last week on cold tires. Rather glad I had it at 30 mph and in a sedate turn, rather than at 70 in an aggressive turn.

Good luck, and keep learning!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote