View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Just confirming that it was the seal that was giving you grief.
You would think that would be an individual part for replacement but I guess not. Kudos to finding a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeedpursuit View Post
EDIT 2: So I never got any feedback on this, but for the sake of anyone who finds this later with a similar problem, I grabbed one of those screw-on billet aftermarket gas caps you can find on amazon or ebay for $30 - $50. Still expensive for a seal, but it was always frustrating how my keys would stick in the locking gas cap anyway, so win-win. It's rained since then and my bike hasn't freaked out, so here's hoping I was right.
Thanks for raising this thread from dead! I've had the same issue as OP with a leaky gas cap that would dump fuel whenever I had the bike in a lean with a full tank. The bike didn't run poorly but I was getting terrible gas mileage until I found a temp solution. I disassembled and cleaned the cap, sealed the lower gasket with gasket sealant and lubed everything with silicone spray

Looks like I can buy those cheapo gas tank caps and harvest the rubber seal to put in my OEM gas cap.

Really annoying that Kawasaki doesn't offer the rubber gasket seperately. In their manual, it even says if the gasket is worn, to replace it. Replace it with what spare part?!

nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote