View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2020, 01:23 AM   #6
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
It was the gas cap, please boost the crap out of this to save a noob. I tried literally everything from cleaning my carbs, spark plugs, adjusting valve clearance, EVERYTHING.

Thank god lowspeedpursuit figured this out and signal boosted the post.

I ordered a new oem style cap for $20.88 from vipih, only because the coronavirus thing is going on and I wanted to make sure it was US stock.

https://vipih.com/products/lockgas-k...3981a257&_ss=r

The fitment was a little odd, I had to get the 3 socket head cap screws going first and rotate the whole assembly because the holes didn't feel like they were completely free of resistance. Once I knew all 3 were threaded smoothly I snugged them down then went to the retention Phillips screw on the inside of the cap. The tab is designed a little differently, I thought I was cross threading it but I wasn't. The old cap had a nice sharp and defined ledge for the screw to seat fully onto, the new one does not, it's curved so it binds hard before it is fully seated.

I'm calling this good enough for me right now because I'd rather ride than wait longer. For now I am just gonna run 2 keys, in a few weeks I'll hit up a lock smith and have them cut a new key (don't have a spare) and re-key my new gas cap.
This is great info. I had this problem 2 months back and my head cap ended up being the problem.

I feel your pain, i did valve adjustments and all, and who would have thought the fricken gas cap would be the source of pain?!
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote