View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterioX View Post
Do I understand correctly that I can only get to the main jets with this method, but it won't work for getting to the pilot jets?
Are you talking about the pilot jets or mixture screws?
The mix screws can be adjusted with this method/tool (the Milwaukee Offset Screwdriver) very easily, with the right flat-head bit.

Swapping pilot jets can can be done without pulling the carbs. I did it, but you need a narrow-shafted, relatively wide bladed flat-head screwdriver that's no more than about 3" long including the handle. The usual multi-head screwdriver bits (hex-shaped base) are too wide to fit in the hole, so you can't use those or the MOS, unless you've got one with a blade shaft that's about an inch long (never seen one). Also you'll want fairly small hands, that can get in under the carbs to get torque on the screwdriver. I imagine it could be done with a pair of vicegrips on the screwdriver, but I didn't have to try. In short, it's doable, but you need to have a screwdriver of just the right proportions.

I realize this may be confusing but it's the best I can think of explain without pics, which I didn't think to take when I did my pilot swap about a year ago.
Here's the screwdriver I used, Craftsman 4-in-1 #45734. I got to the pilot jet with the wide-blade flat bit with the black extension, but not the handle.