View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Cam not sitting flush when timing?

Hi there!

Today, I decided to dive in and check my valves, and adjust as necessary. Good thing I did so, because the exhaust valves were out of spec.

So, I got everything taken apart without issue, measured the shims, did the math, and went and got new shims. I got them installed with the lifters.

However, now- when I go to put the cam back in, and attach the chain, the cam doesn't seem to sit flush when the timing marks on the cam gears are aligned. It feels like a teeter-totter, if you push on the end opposite the cam gear, the cam gear lifts a little bit out of the journal. It also appears that this is happening because of the lobes on cylinder two is resting on one of the lifters.

When I took the bike apart, I made sure that the engine was set at 2T through the viewing window & the timing marks on the gears were aligned. The viewing window shows that the engine is still set at 2T. Since the intake clearances were within spec, I did NOT remove the intake cam or cap. I took the bolts out of it, but did not remove the cap or cam, so it's been in the same spot. I'm simply trying to re-align the exhaust cam with it by the timing marks. Here are some pictures:

Here you can see that the engine is set to 2T:

Here you can see that the timing is aligned:

Here you can see that the cam is off kilter when the timing is aligned:

Here you can see that this is likely due to the lobe resting on the lifter:

And finally, here you can see when the timing marks are mis-aligned one tooth, the cam does not sit off kliter, and does not teeter totter:

So, my fellow ninjette riders, what have I done? How does one go about resolving this? Do I have to remove the intake cap and cam, and realign them together? Any help ya'll can give me would be much appreciated. I did plenty of research on this before starting, and also have the service manual, but I'm still sitting here scratching my head.
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote