Thread: Nude '98
View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
Thanks for the advice I will check it out. I just read a few things about it and it does sound like a tough coating. I'll email the manufacturer and see if it can be sprayed over the Rustoleum or whether it's a strip job. The problem for me is that not much of anything I need is available locally so I have to travel for most things. The Rustoleum was a 100km round trip itself.

On a positive note, my indicators arrived today. They appear to be well made, quite weighty and of a diecast construction.
I would make sure the rustoleum is dry (smell it), then scuff it lightly/carefully with 400 wet sandpaper. Use a soft Scotchbrite pad for the tight areas and make sure the entire surface is dull. Wash with a small amount of soap and water, then dry.

You should be able to clear over the cured and scuffed paint without any problem.

I noticed that the SprayMax 2K gloss clear was rather thick, and needed reasonably heavy "wet" coats to flow smoothly - more than typical spray can paint. It didn't want to run even when applied pretty heavy. Watch the glare as you spray, and be prepared to move rather slowly (and fairly close) to get a smooth finish.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote