Thread: Start Issue
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #3
BrianATX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I think I know which part you are saying is malfunctioning but I don't understand how or what needs to be replaced to fix it.

To review the starter clutch is between the stator rotor and the final gear of the starter. When the starter turns over it locks that final gear and begins to turn the rotor assembly and the engine over. I have locking and it is shearing off the teeth of that final gear but the motor is not turning over. And now that I have replaced the gear I still have locking but it is not turning the motor over and I am concerned that repeated attempts will result in more shearing of the teeth of that final starter gear. Which is what had occurred at the end of my video when the starter would spin but never engaged the final gear.

It would seem like my starter clutch is locking properly but something is preventing it from rotating. While I have a strong battery I thought it might just be a worn out/weakened starter. However that does not explain how it sheared off the teeth on the final starter gear I replaced. In my mind it would seem like that starter clutch would be bad if it kept the starter motor engaged after you removed your finger from the start button. Or if like in my final video clip it just spun and never locked. But the reason the starter spun in the final clip was because that final starter gear was missing about 6 teeth and there was nothing there for it to turn.

I tried your tip with putting the bike in gear and backing it up till it rested on the drive train/engine. When I pulled in the clutch and hit the start button it made no change. The starter engaged and tried to spin but it was frozen immediately like before and took several presses to eventually turn over the engine. Exactly the same thing that was happening in the first few clips of my video.
BrianATX is offline   Reply With Quote