View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #21
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

You could always go to the nearest Harley dealer and take the Riders Edge course, it should still be given on a nice low seat Buell Blast which has about the same horse power as a Ninja 250 but probably has a slightly lower center of gravity so it is nice and easy to ride. Cost will be about the same and as far as I know at the end of passing the course you walk away with a license (well the paperwork to go to the DMV to get your license anyway).

As far as what bike to get first goes, I started on a 600 and managed to stay alive, if I was to do it again I'd find something smaller and lighter. I did take my test on a YSR50 which made the maneuvers more than simple because it is so small and light (and stupid fun to ride too). I think you could do a lot worse than the 250 for a first machine, not sure if you could do too much better as there are few and far between for suggestions. If manufacturers had good 400cc sport bikes, those would be great starters and handle way up to higher power demands perfectly. A 4 cylinder 250 with like 45 horses would be pretty close to perfect too.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote