View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Indirect Skills that May Help You Ride Better

While I believe that there is no true substitute for actual road time and advanced training, I do believe there are things that we enjoy (or perhaps take for granted) that help us to ride. One of those things is regular play in sports. What am I alluding to?

Basketball or (Soccer)- I grew up playing basketball. Running the point requires a great deal of court vision to be effective in taking everything and adjusting or reacting. Passing, reading the defense, and dribbling all relates. This includes understanding the awareness of what's behind you. The more you play, the better you become at picking your spots on when to be aggressive or conservative. The game slows down the more you play and it just comes to you. Very similar to riding if you think about it. In addition, you'll never need to have someone tell you "Behind you" because you'll account for it automatically.

Football - Playing quarterback or safety usually requires you to see the field and make quick decision making. You learn not to be indecisive. You learn to recognize progression. It happens in 3 second intervals at a time. If you are really good, you pick up on the "signals" before they even happen and anticipate. You know exactly where you want the ball to be or where you want to be before it happens.

Golf - The way you grip a club is similar to how you grip the handlebars -- Firm but not tight. You learn how being too tight affects the muscles in your arms which cause errant swings. You learn to be loose and athletic in your stance much like you are when you are on a bike. You learn that even though it is unnatural to swing a club, the ability to focus on one thing at a time through focus and follow through, and keeping your eye throughout the swing, after awhile it becomes muscle memory and easier (with much less gaffes). You learn to let the club do the work (much like you let the bike do the work).

Shooting Guns - Shadowing the trigger cuts down on reaction time much like shadowing the levers on your motorcycle. Eye level, depth perception, etc. all relate to riding and seeing what's lurking ahead.

Relaxation - Staying loose naturally, not reacting negatively to stress even when the situation may be grim seems to effective for me.

Even the hand/eye coordination from video gaming may be helping to quickly process information and hopefully cause a favorable reaction.

My theory is that while riding is a different sport, different skills influence riding basics. For example, nothing can prepare you for a deer blitzing across your path or the car crossing three lanes without looking. But if you can learn how to anticipate the same way you learn how to anticipate a break in a pattern on the football field or a cut in the lane. I think it all relates indirectly. Anybody have any additional thoughts?
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote