Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM   #28
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I'm not sure this is a good video to view on being a better rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I rule at lapping riders in endurance racing and lapping drivers during my daily commute

So this is how I view traffic all the time continuously, that's why I joke with my racing friends about turning on all 8 processing cores of your brain to keep you 4 steps ahead of the people around you.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I hope you don't view it exactly like the guy in video. Yes, turn on all 8 processing cores of your brain, but leave the horrific visual results process at home.

Watching that video reminded me of being a new mother (28 years ago), in that - when your kids are doing something risky, a new mother's mind will run through all the possible harm scenarios with great graphics. It is funny to watch a new mother tense, grimissing, clinched teeth with all muscles of her body shaking and stiff.

While this video is funny, I think the mind set of the cyclist is dangerous, and you don't want to view the possibilities like this. When I first started riding, I did the same thing - playing a tape of horrific, graphic possibilities (seeing myself fly through the air, getting hit, etc.) which lessened my ability to focus on the ride as my muscles became tense. I would pull over and say to myself, "STOP thinking like that," took a big breath and tried to relax before continuing. This could be because I'm a women, and is possibly why there are not more women riders, because it is in our nature to keep from harm.

While I believe you need to have a healthy fear (I like the word respect better), please take it slow if you are the kind of person that thinks like this, because you will be tense and over-react to situations.

Sorry youngsters, 56 year old Ninjamomma sharing wisdom and don't want anyone to get hurt.

Much love
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote