Thread: Rear preload?
View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
found this yesterday, and found it informative at least for what kind of feedback to feel for when testing things out

http://www.visordown.com/workshop/mo...etup/2487.html

Highlights about preload both front and rear

Test 9

Maximum spring preload on the forks

Niall "The front feels all out of control under braking. The back is moving around and it doesn't feel like the front is diving under brakes. There is also a bit of chatter over bumps. Not very nice."

Jon "The bike felt okay but was slightly soft and quick to dive under braking. It didn't feel much different to standard and still cornered fine."

What's actually happening: With the springs fully preloaded the bike sits too high at the front. The forks aren't compressing enough under load and the bike isn't transferring its weight to the front wheel. Effectively the bike sits 'flatter' under braking, which destabilises it.

Test 10

Decreased rear spring preload

Niall "Trying to drive out of corners the back squatted down and the bike ran wide. When I put the power down out of slow corners it ran wide, and through faster ones, such as Schwantz's, it pogoed slightly."

Jon "The bike felt flat in corners and didn't really feel like the back end was digging in when I drove out. Under braking the rear seemed to slide around and wasn't balanced."

What's actually happening: The rear spring is under less initial pressure so when the bike's weight transfers backwards under acceleration it sags and sits down before the spring can start to work properly.

Test 11

Minimum spring preload on the forks

Niall "It wasn't so much a problem on the brakes, more mid corner. The bike wanted to fall into the corner and it felt like the front was trying to tuck all the time. Mid corner the bike felt horrible, all squidgy and wobbly on the front."

Jon "Over bumps the front felt really unsettled and the patter was back. In corners it wasn't that bad, a bit soft feeling but nothing too bad."

What's actually happening: Again, the spring isn't under as much initial pressure when the bike loads it up, so the initial movement before the spring starts to work gives a saggy, soft feeling.

Test 12

Increased rear spring preload

Niall "On the brakes the back end was all over the place. I'd hit the brakes then the rear was well out of control, it just swayed back and forth and meant I had to let off slightly to get it back under control."

Jon "The back felt hard and the bumps, especially through the Foggy Esses, gave me a right kick
up the arse. Under braking the bike didn't feel very planted and the rear slid around slightly."

What's actually happening: The spring already has pressure on it so there is less 'give' in it to absorb the new forces, or just the weight of bike and rider. This leads to a harsh ride.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/workshop/mo...#ixzz2yUdsAYMG

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote