View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Whoa!!! Haven't heard QuakeCon in a minute. I was at the one in 97 when Thresh won Carmack's Ferrari.
Thresh was still active but people wouldn't shut up about Fatal1ty in 2003. Almost everyone that wasn't even playing Quake III Arena in 2003... they were playing CounterStrike (not even an id/Raven game)! I was disappointed because John Carmack wasn't even there.

I did get to play Doom 3 early and talk to Tim Willits about their release strategy. I commented that there was no way it was going to fit on a CD to which he emphatically agreed. I asked if they would be releasing on multiple CDs or if it might be the first major DVD-only game release, since any system powerful enough to run it would likely have a DVD drive. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was the only DVD-only PC game I knew of at the time. He said it was Activision's call. They ultimately released the game on three CDs but the installer allowed you to put the contents from all three on one DVD-R if you wanted to make a single install disc. Still needed the play disc though without additional trickery.

I couldn't travel all the way to Texas for Quake back in the late '90s, but I did compete at local events like the 99X CyberFest.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote