View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2022, 07:49 PM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Balancing beads ? We put them in a car tire back in the 1970's and it actually worked real well we had one tire that was way out of balance and so we thought we'd try that ... it was easy right ?
it turns out that the first 2 or 3 miles it would shake like a banshee till it got up to speed then when you stopped at a stop sign you had to go through the whole thing all over again.... OBVIOUSLY that wasn't worth having on the car so after 2 or 3 trips to town I pulled the tire and took the tire off and got the beads out of there.... I had made my own tire changer and was more than happy to do the job just to see how nice my tire changer worked !...
anyway....of the cup of beads that i put in there i got out about 3/4 of a cup and a bunch of lead dust.... and a whole lot of rubber ! we never did that again
..... incidentally, upon removing the tire the last time I discovered a really long wheel weight on the back side of the rim I pulled it off and put the tire back on
and it didn't shake after that ! LOL....
I don't remember exactly where we bought those beads but you had to take the tire off one side of the rim to put them in there then put the tire back on that side and air it up.... it did work, but you had to go through the shaking every time you stopped again and again ! .... it was silly !
.... I do hope those are not the same Tire balancing Beads that we used...because they should be banned for use on the highway !
I used that home made tire changer for 40 years ! I even had a seperate post and lever to brake down the beads on the tires.... but with lots of soap and water I could put on 4 new tires in about 45 minutes ! ..... balancing them was another story..... never made a balancer for the cars that was one of those " I'll get around to it" things ! and never did ! LOL
Bob......