View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): klr 650, fz1, nighthawk 750, dr650, ex250

I had one that I recently sold. Zero issues from 4k miles (purchased at) to 16,500 miles. Mods listed below, along with justifications

1. Wal Mart ATV seat cover.
\ Stock seat sucked, the 20 dollar seat cover made *all* the difference. Also, protected stock seat from sun so it'd be in good shape when/if I sold it.

2. Shinko 705 tires
\ Fantastic tires, real cheap, great for 70-80% road use.

3. Twisted Throttle Denali D2 LED lights.
\ Stock headlight not so great, also running with them on I had far fewer people pull in front of me without looking.

4. Lexx exhaust
\ Stock sounded like a lawnmower, and it just felt really plugged up.

5. Uni intake filter
\ See #4

6. JD Jet kit
\ because of 4, 5 - also, used the JD jet kit because it's widely regarded as the best.

7. Doohickey.
\ Cheap insurance. Bike sounded less rattle-y after doing the 'do

8. KLRDash windscreen riser and dash.
\ I'm 6'2" with a penguin like build (all torso) and needed some wind protection. The dash itself gave me a place to mount my GPS and iPhone.

I weight like 250-260 and am 6'2" tall. The bike was great for me, but I eventually sold it to get something more CA freeway friendly. Oil burning was not an issue so long as you're cruising below 5000 rpm (which is about 70mph) - go above that and it'd eat about .25 to .5 quart per tank of gas. I changed sprockets etc. and got it to where I could cruise at 80, but it was worthless off road due to the gearing at that point. Dirt cheap bike to run, addictive to mod (there's just SO much you can do!) and extremely reliable. Bike took a dump about 3k after I sold it because the new owner didn't listen, rode 85mph for a few days without checking the oil. I turned the bike over with explicit care instructions and 2 quarts of oil strapped into the hard luggage and still. A sad end to a trusted steed. I occasionally think about getting another one - if I lived somewhere other than Orange County, CA I wouldn't have sold it. Keeping up with CA highway traffic speeds was keeping it revving to high.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.