Old January 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM   #24
PainterJosh
stuck on Honda

Name: joshua

Motorcycle(s): 1971 CB750 K1, 1989 CBR600F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
No mirrors?

You seemed like the one to ask. If someone wanted to, say, paint the headlight cover with the same color as the surrounding fairing to reshape it, how would they go about doing it? What if they wanted to extend the fairing color onto their windscreen a little too?

Like this...

Also, I see that you have fitted plates where the mirrors go. Are they custom?

That's what the previous-gen needs to look really nice... a paint job like yours, a non-square headlight, turn signals like yours, and something other than those stalky two-piece staggered mirror arms. Oh, and the fender eliminator like yours with a false cowl-line seat cover from CustomSeatCreations.

Is there a kind of "reflective undercoat" to reflect back in the light that hits the paint-covered portion of the headlight lens so it can be projected back out by the reflector?
we got bar end mirrors. I just put them on. I'll post some pics in a bit, I'm busy with other stuff for the next couple days. the mirror block off plates are from a place called JDA custom. they are on ebay under billetsportbikeparts. they look really nice and they can make custom stuff, too. polished aluminum!

you can paint anything if you prep it right. glass is definitely tricky, though. a rule of thumb is to think about the smoothness of the surface and if you put a sticker on it would it just peel right off or stick good. make sense? the surface needs to have 'teeth' for paint to grab onto and bond with. if it is too smooth it will just peel off. you can give a surface toothiness by sanding or using some kind of etching solution.

for your idea I would think about getting colored latex decal/sticker paper stuff. I think if you could stretch it a bit you could cover the headlight, then cut out the shape you like. if you really want to paint it you can but ask the guy at the paint store what kind of primer he suggests for glass. I'm not sure about that. or check online, someone has done it before. and if you want to do it short term, to see what it looks like- don't prep at all, just spray on paint and let it dry. you will see how easy it is to scrape it off afterwards.

as far as the windshield, just prep it like normal. it should paint just like the rest of the plastic. anything you paint you should scuff sand first. the prep work is 90% of painting. and it's what will make it last and look good.

use green or blue tape to make your lines (green is cleaner, blue stickier) and if you have curves like in your example then get 1/4" green tape to make the line. it's a lot easier. then use the wider stuff and masking paper to fill in the rest. push down your tape well along the edges.

there are a million other little tips, but it's stuff you learn from trial and error.

good luck!

Last futzed with by PainterJosh; February 1st, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
PainterJosh is offline   Reply With Quote