View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2018, 09:21 AM   #8
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
don't remember who's chain I was using. It cost us abt 45min during an enduro and I was done with 415 forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, not very durable. I tried 415 couple years ago, lasted less than 1-season on my 250. That's with regular cleaning and oiling after every weekend.

Went with 428 conversion afterwards, lighter and stronger than stock. Lasted 2-seasons so far. Probably 3-seasons total.
The durability is exactly I didn't go with the 415 chain. Our team runs 3 hour endurance races and a chain failure would screw us for sure in a race. I question the value for sprint racing even more where a chain failure would definitely cost a race and even a season. I would only consider it if I thought it was really costing me wins to not do it and even then I would be counting on using at least three chains a season.
The best results I've had are with a high quality non o-ring chain in the 520 size. I extensively researched the chain weights and could not find a 428 chain that actually weighed less than the good non o-ring chains. I decided that the conversion to 428 wasn't worth the hassle. There is a very noticeable difference in friction between the o-ring and non o-ring chains. One spin of the back wheel by hand will show that. The non o-ring chains do require more maintenance to get the best out of them though.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote