Old April 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
That's an interesting topic... the "it's not worth it" decision point. We all have one, even the most hard-core ATGATT riders.

Seriously... if you were to literally move the bike two doors down to a friend's driveway, or ride it through the paddock to tech, would you gear up? Nah. So there is a point at which the balance tips. The only question is, where?

For me, the point of concession comes when I ride a mile or so to the diner for lunch. It's still jacket, gloves, helmet and boots... the only concession is pants.
@cadd, I'm curious. Aside from the need to gear up and then change back only 20 minutes later, what's your rationale? Do you feel there's less hazard because of the shorter commute?

What, qualitatively, makes the longer trip worth the extra protection?
I'm usually pretty hardcore ATGATT. However, when my commute was only 12 miles each way (20 mins), there were times when I rode with no jacket and no pants during hot humid summer days. I did have my Icon chest/back protector vest on (over my button down shirt) though. How did I justify it to myself (being an ATGATT guy)? And I know these are all lame reasons:
- 6am departure = lighter traffic
- Heading west (sun not in my eye) on quiet country roads, riding against the morning commute (away from NYC)
- Short/quick ride and I knew the roads really well. I knew where every pot hole was and knew which intersections to be extra vigiliant
- Other commuters going the same direction aren't as aggressive because of the lighter traffic. They didn't need to joust for position. They didn't need to tailgate to prevent others from cutting in.
- Speeds were low. Some parts were 25mph limits and the highest speed limit was 45mph. Quite often, we're following school buses.
- One lane of travel in each direction for most of the commute
- I'm in a calmer state mentally. Never worried about traffic. Never worried about being late. Never worried about aggressive drivers bullying for a spot. I felt more relaxed and felt that helps my decision making process
- A lot of police on the opposite side of the road looking for speeders and aggressive drivers heading east towards NYC on their morning commute.

Nowadays, I commute 1h 15m into NYC. 65mph speed limit on the interstate for 80% of the distance. The other 20% comprises of (pot hole filled) local roads where everyone is very aggressive. I wear my normal everyday gear (full length boots, CE protected pants, CE chest and back protector leather jacket, gauntlet leather gloves, ear plugs & helmet) for this commute because:
- Heading east into NYC. The sun is right in my eye (and everyone else's eyes).
- A lot of aggressive driving
- Lots of tailgating
- Lots of speed changes. One minute, we can all be going 75mph, then all brake lights are on and we have to decelerate quickly to 15mph. Then accelerate back up.
- The sheer volume of traffic is horrendous and the chances of someone driving distracted (phone, make up, breakfast, newspaper, half asleep) is greater
- Horrible roads filled with bumps, oil, debris as we get closer to the city.
- I'm more alert and aggressive myself. No longer in that calm state of mind and I fear that will affect my decision making process. Greater chance of rider error.

How did I compromise with gear on hot humid summer days on this long aggressive commute? I have a white proforated leather jacket for more air flow. I have light weight pants with mesh in non impact locations. I gave myself two options:
A - ride in full gear and sweat a little
B - drive to the bus station, get on a crowded bus, then transfer to a crowded light rail, then transfer to an even more crowded Subway.

I was happy to sweat a little =)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.