View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #18
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaClone View Post
Anyone else who's a parent, guardian, sibling, friend, etc., know someone who rides and worries about that person despite knowing there's really nothing to worry about? This isn't something I constantly think about, or paralyzes me, or anything of that sort. Once in awhile in pops into my head and it's annoying, since I know it's stupid to consider. But it still pops into my head.

How do you cope?

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming - I'm thinking it's gonna be quite enjoyable being here!

- Pred

----------

Sent from my mobile phone - content is mine. Typos and other mistakes courteously supplied by autocorrect.
Great question!! I have two kids, a son (almost 9) and a daughter 6. My son is a daredevil and started dirt biking at 4 and then road racing at 6. People ask me all the time how I can allow him to participate in such a "dangerous" sport.

Here are my thoughts. First of all, I'm a riding coach and I have taught my son to ride from day 1. I believe in his abilities and his judgement and until I begin to question those, I will stand by him and cheer him on. He wears all the gear all the time and knows that if he doesn't, that's it. And I mean IT. He races on a closed circuit under careful control with an ambulance on site or nearby and that eases my fears as well. I continue to work on improving his riding skills and ensuring he is the best rider possible.

My suggestions are to get your son rider training, as much as possible as soon as possible. You want him to have the correct riding skills right off the bat and sometimes those skills can literally save a life. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and have been for the past 14 years. I know for certain that many of the skills taught and learned at our school have saved people's lives on the street and track (mine included) and cannot think of a single more important thing to teach/encourage then proper riding skills. The street IS dangerous, in my opinion more dangerous than any race track or track day and that is because of the added unknown variables of other cars, oil, dirt, and things that you can hit if you crash. My rules for my family are that they can ride dirt or track but not on the street until they are out of the house- and if they choose to ride on the street then, you will be sure that they have taken at least all 4 levels of the California Superbike School and more!

As for how to cope and handle them out riding. I take things day by day, moment by moment. Anything my kids do have the potential to be dangerous. They could fall out of the tree they are climbing or get hit by a car running across the street. I could keep them bubble wrapped their whole lives only to find out they have cancer or some other terminal disease. We could get into a car crash on the way to the track, etc etc. I like to live life in a manner that allows us all to appreciate each moment and to not regret our choices. I will prepare my children to participate in any sport or activity with the best knowledge, skill, gear, support, guidance as possible and after that, take a deep breath and cheer them on. It's not easy and I certain do fear for their safety but ultimately it comes down to trust. I trust them and I love them so I'll set them free.

Send it!

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about the California Superbike School or any skills/techniques/racing/riding questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

All the best!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote