View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #4
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I can't say I've ever had a bad service per se, but I find you do have to spell out exactly what you want done.

One time I took a motorcycle in and told them: I want you to do a "complete service". I'm going on a road trip of a few thousand miles and it needs a new rear tire, so replace the tire, change the oil, check valves, etc. I did say "do anything it needs before a long trip".

I go to pick up the bike a couple days later. Yep, they've done the service and put on a new rear tire. Then the mechanic says to me: you'll need to get new brake shoes for that rear drum brake soon. It's only good for maybe 500 or 600 miles.

WTF? You had the back wheel off anyhow to replace a tire, you had my go-ahead to do anything that needs service before a road trip - and you didn't bother to put on a pair of $35 brake shoes??

Anyways, I had already booked my vacation to start the next day, so I went anyhow and just babied the rear brake. When I got back, I had the rear brake serviced right away - at another shop.