View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #13
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Updates from @ttd about this year. Important info about Palmer noise at the bottom.

2016 Track updates and schedule
At this point, it looks like the 2016 schedule is complete and registration is now open. The only thing not decided at this moment is if there will be a "Package Deal" pricing. This would be an option where you can pre-purchase X number of days. The issue I am having at the moment is to come up with something that is both attractive to the buyer, but not detrimental to the Membership Program. Stay tuned for more on that.

LOUDON, NH TRACK: After taking a year off, we are excited to be returning to our "home" track in 2016.. For many years, Loudon was the only track available for riders in the New England area and it remains the only track open for big bike racing. We're glad to be riding Loudon again and hope everyone feels the same way and will come out and ride with us.

THOMPSON, CT TRACK: We will continue riding this track as it is close to many and has become a fan favorite. We'll most likely use the Clockwise direction for all events this year.

PALMER, MA TRACK: For those of you that ride with us at the Palmer track, you'll be glad to know of a few updates:

- Concrete curbing and rumble strips have been added at key corners.
- Paved infield roads are being added to the infield paddock.
- Storm drainage has been improved around the track and paddock.
- Bathrooms and showers are now completed and operational.
- A 26-bay garage is available for reservation and use.

That's the good news! The "bad" news for some of you is that the sound restrictions will be enforced. This only applies to a handful of riders at each of the dates - usually only 2 or 3 riders in each group.

Without these riders at the track, our overall sound level goes well below the allowed limit. As mentioned last year, if you have the stock pipe on your bike... please leave it in place. If you absolutely must get an aftermarket exhaust, do your research and get the quietest one possible.

Unfortunately, we don't yet have an exact testing method unless you are at the track. The actual test is when you are wide open throttle under acceleration, and there is no direct correlation for every bike to compare noise level while stopped to noise level when wide open. A single cylinder dirt bike might go up X decibels while an inline 4 cylinder might go up Y decibels. Different engine configurations react differently when they are wide open and accelerating hard.

Having said that, my plan at the moment is to try and create a chart that will cross reference engine configs, size, and decibel level when wide open and decibel level when at a stand still.

To do this, the track officials and myself will be monitoring the first few dates and determining which bikes exceed the db limit when wide open throttle. We will then record their info and input it into a chart. By learning the db level of those bikes at a standstill, we can come up with some sort of guideline for others to use so they can test their bikes before registering.

Conclusion? I guess I would say if you already have an exhaust on your bike and you know it's loud... start doing some research into quieter options. Maybe locate the stock pipe?

Early in the season, we'll allow people to ride one time with loud bikes as we'll need to use those bikes to develop the chart mentioned above. After your bike has been selected as being too loud, you will not be allowed to return until you can show you've lowered the sound level.
This is all wonderful news (unless your bike is loud)! The only bad/negative part is that I had hoped to get a chance to run Thompson backwards but there is always next season.

I am really starting to consider doing the May 8th date at Palmer. I am in for Memorial day weekend and the Ohio trip (PS. new truck acquired) so I may hold off and do a trip to Thompson instead. I will post up when I finally decide.

Last futzed with by Ducati999; January 27th, 2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention new truck
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote