Old November 19th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #23
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Imma be frank here...

There is only one other mod that can be done that will make your experience on ANY bike better.

Do a track school...

The right track school will not only allow you to ride on the track but will be "safety" focused 1st and performance orient 2nd. This holds true on both the street and track.

For example; As a coach, when I get my group in front of me... the first thing I tell them is;

You can spend all the money in the world on the bike in different mods, but unless you can take advantage of those mods, it's piss in the wind. Without question, without doubt, and no under no other circumstances... the best mod to a bike is 100% by far, A BETTER RIDER.

Next is a subtle yet powerful human modification. You might just be surprised how much safer you feel in full gear. Some describe it as much more confidence inspiring than any mod on the bike.

Last but not least, is the throttle. So important being a finely tuned instrument of your control, that it literally means the difference between what the rider believes is a bike that helps them meet their goals or fights them every step of the way. It will make or break your ride and/or day. I bring this up because as a newer rider, making the throttle more responsive in any way can and may hinder more than it helps. Via a throttle tube or more aggressive tune.

The endgame:
Simply put, the end game is to be as good and/or better than the bike your riding. If not, you're chasing the bike. Imho, the bike should be boosting you as the rider... never the other way around. It is the source of such quotes as "when in doubt, gas it out" or "just lean it." Both of those quotes purely depend on the bike being better than the rider. While they hold a hint of truth, neither are good for the rider and leave your fate to dumb luck.

Feel me?
Hey Csmith12

thank you for your input! appreciate your insight for the noob such as myself.

I really wanted to do the riding school next season but after doing some math.. I decided to put it off for another season. Cost of having proper gear for the track (the nearest track school from me requires full or 2 piece suit which I don't have, need better gloves and proper track boots. I just have regular TCX street ace boots and gloves just enough to attend safety course for licensing), school fee, bike rental/insurance.. it was running bit high. I'm sure it's worth all the investment but I went budget route with my current gears and sorta regretting that decision right now.

All the gears have adequate safety ratings but styling isn't up to my standard.. haha. Kinda bought it thinking I won't be buying a bike for another year.. but ended up getting it the same summer as I got my license anyway.
Also need full face helmet. Currently have modular helmet for easy cigarette access..

I also feel I could use more saddle time before attending riding school to fully appreciate that course and maybe read up on 'twist of the wrist II' or something.

Was learning how to blip properly before having to winterize the bike.. so I'm still noob to start learning about proper race techniques.. if you have any tips on blipping on ninja 250, I'm all ears! (I pull the throttle to rev up but when I release the clutch, it revs up again instead of silky smooth rev matching.. hella difficult in lower gears)

I feel you though! I do want to get better as a rider!
For now, as a noob, I'm gonna piss some money away to help sustain this industry..haha
jp8484 is offline   Reply With Quote