View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM   #157
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! I finally got a job!

In early January I decided that I needed to go outside of my house more and talk to more people and put myself "out there" and ask people for opportunities instead of just waiting for something to fall into my lap.

On a 10 degree day in January I decided to walk to this place called Prototype PGH which is a female-owned makerspace/workshop about a mile from my house. They are a really cool nonprofit organization that strives to help women do cool things. While I was there, I met the founder, who was interested in my idea to teach a workshop about what to look for when buying a used motorcycle from Craigslist. So I'm set up to teach that on March 3!

I also met a girl who's a mechanical engineer for Carnegie Robotics here in Pittsburgh. Long story short, she ended up getting me an interview as a Manufacturing Technician and lo and behold I start my new job on Monday as a Robotics Manufacturing & Engineering Tech. WTF???

I also searched on facebook a little bit and found a group called MoPitt who are a bunch of moped fanatics who happen to have a sweet 2-car garage TWO BLOCKS from my house where they tinker with mopeds all the time! There were like 25 random assortment mopeds in there with motors half apart and everything. They even invited me to get tacos with them, which I did, and they seem really cool and knowledgeable about peds. (My inexplicable obsession in life...)

I also was out walking my dog one day and saw a guy with a CB750 motor in the back of a van, so I talked to him, turns out he's an ER doctor who's opening up a small shop as a place for him to build custom bikes and do metal fabrication and just tinker with stuff. He said I am totally welcome to hang out and learn to weld and do some machining stuff and build bikes and use tools! He's having an opening party thing on Saturday.

Cool things happened as soon as I stopped sitting at home and just left my house and talked to people. Some of this stuff has been here all along and some is new, but it's really been worth putting the effort into actively finding opportunities and showing up and leaving my house.

So I just wanted to say, if you're feeling stuck or frustrated, GO OUTSIDE and talk to people!! You never know where it might take you!
I went to a Chinese restaurant recently and got my good ol' fortune cookie. Normally the little slip of paper with the fortune or proverb on it gets cleaned-up with the dirty plates and napkins. I kept this one;

"Wise men make more opportunities than they find."

Congratulations Katie! Now just don't muck it up by getting married.

Bill

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.