View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #109
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
First are all the lights going to be LED? A 3 terminal flasher (they really are not relays) will not give a constant output when activated, they still flash. You can use the flashing output with 2 diodes, a capacitor and relay to get a constant latched output but it would take a bit of engineering. You should still do the diode mod to the dash bulb first to get that problem out of the way before attempting any other mods to the circuit.
Thanks for the input. They won't all be LEDs, but I will do the diode mod if need be. I only showed the dash and blinkers so that it was obvious what that switch did and showed incandescent bulbs everywhere to minimize distraction. I know that the output is intermittent, but the trigger for the new relay comes from the power going into the existing three-prong Tridon EP34 relay I already have (the integrated tail light is LED). It doesn't work if it isn't grounded, so I assume that it alternates between going to the lights and grounding through the third prong and, thus, power going into it should be a constant trigger that just alternates where it finds ground (to the bulbs or to the grounded third prong) and quits as soon as the signal switch is canceled. I imagine that there may be a moment when power stops as it mechanically switches if it isn't done the way I show in my diagram (the two power wires I show going into it would actually be split internally after a common/shared terminal). A capacitor may smooth that out, but I wouldn't know what type or spec and would only do that if the flashing were noticeable.

Yeah, a flasher relay isn't a relay in the sense that it is not an electrically triggered switch that activates another electrical switch, but you could say that even a thermal two-prong relay is a relay because it is an electrically triggered mechanical switch (heats up, breaks contact, cools down, makes contact). It's the same "electrical triggers mechanical" switch function only it's tied back to the same electrical trigger.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote