View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2019, 09:03 PM   #22
F9zSlavik
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2005 / SFV650 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
You don't get the gains you think you're going to get by cutting the cat chamber open, removing the cat, and welding it back together. (if that's what you were planning) Not on this bike, or any bike that has a cat relatively close to the front of the bike.

But... if you were going remove the cat chamber completely and add a proper 2 into one collector with good welds and a new mid pipe, that could help.

There's just something about leaving a cat chamber there without a cat in it that slows down exhaust velocity too close to the engine and creates a tuning problem. I've seen enough dyno curves after people have tried to know that it doesn't work well.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Cutting the CAT out of it and weld on a pipe. I know a few people that can do this cheaply down in Mexico (down the street from me). It worked great for my SFV650, was that an exception? I got a nice hefty boost on it and loved it and thought maybe I could get the same on my 300. Can you describe what happens when the cat is removed? And even with tuning, it won't fix the performance issue? Is there a solution or would you just recommend not cutting it? I need to do moore research D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, the sudden changes in diameter and steps introduced when removing cat is actually worse for flow.
I am surprised, I would think with removing the cat, it would increase the flow. It worked great on my SFV650. Why wouldn't it work here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Got it, thanks. I'm still confused, but not because of this thread any more.
F9zSlavik is offline   Reply With Quote