View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #123
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

@CThunder-blue's extensive off-site write-up is gone.

Anyway, I just unboxed two HID Xenon projector kits from eBay (green halos, yellow halos) and things are looking a little... weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuAx...ature=youtu.be

Link to original page on YouTube.

This is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151075390896...84.m1439.l2649

I notice now that it doesn't say "Bi-Xenon" anywhere and doesn't seem to mention hi/lo or anything related in the description. Oop$. I would have ordered the BKmoto kit if they had it in yellow, but now I know I should have ordered it regardless. I thought that Bi-Xenon beam control was the whole point of the projectors.

First, the seller contacted me before shipping to say that he was including 6000k bulbs, so I assume he was out of the 4300/4700 I requested. A marker pen was used to check certain options on the bottom of each projector assembly. One from the green kit was marked BOTH 6000 and 8000k. A wire attached to the bulb said "6000k" so it matches in specification, but the attached rubber grommet is completely different from the other three (more like @borka's BKMOTO DIY). The others look like plugs instead of grommets.

The four HID ballasts were packaged individually but the wiring harnesses and CCFL inverter/ignitors were supposed to be in each projector box. Instead, only one projector from each kit has a wiring harness and the green kit had no igniters! I made a test fit with the whole assembly (ballast, control box, igniter, bulb, CCFL, etc) and discovered that, yes, I would need four of each. Sure enough, the listing says each kit is supposed to have two wiring harnesses and two ignitors. In the video I thought one wire harness was for two projectors. The listing also shows an H4 connector on the harness yet these have bullet connectors.

One of the yellow projector kits the warranty seal broken, no paperwork, no shrink wrap, hand prints, all mounting hardware removed and packaged directly against the projector shroud, and no bag for the igniter. WTF?!

The yellow kit had "Red Evil Eye" checked on the boxes despite there being no option for demon/devil/evil eyes in the auction listing. Interesting. That's why the yellow kit has an extra wire. The installation instructions say that the wire coming from the "control box" that fits here is for "Bi-Xenon control light."

WAIT. So the yellow kit has Bi-Xenon after all?! Or the hi-beam's solenoid power used for the evil eye instead? Despite calling it "Bi-Xenon," the manual still says "Do not use this product on high beam of headlamp." The rest is almost unintelligible Engrish. I can see what looks like a spring and a metal shutter when I look into the lens of all four projectors, so are these Bi-Xenon after all? The green kit still has nothing to connect there even though the control box still has the cable. I hesitate to open them up to look thanks to the warranty seal issue I already have.

If one kit does have shutters and solenoids in both projectors, can I move one to the other kit so that both kits have one aim down and the other switch between hi/lo? Because these were designed to mount in standard bulb opening, I can only adjust the aim of entire assembly so I might have to fab up a fixed shutter.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 7th, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote