adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You're no speed demon, okay.

Here's my standard visualization exercise:

Imagine yourself riding in a van, the kind with a sliding side door. You're wearing whatever gear you choose to ride in. The van is traveling about 40 mph, which is a reasonable estimate of the kind of speed you'll be going in typical crash scenario.

Go to the side door and slide it open. Crouch in the opening. You'll be somewhere between two and three feet off the pavement -- the same height as if you were riding.

Watch the pavement go by. Take a long, close look. Get a good feel for the speed. Imagine yourself hitting that pavement and what it will do to you.

Now roll out.

Do you think the gear you've chosen will protect you?
Do you think ballistic nylon will stand up to sliding down pavement that's as abrasive as a belt sander?
Do you think that loose, comfy jacket will keep the armor in place so that it actually protects you?
Do you think the jacket will stay in place and protect your skin when the road tries to rip it off your body like a rapist?
Do you think that the shorty textile gloves you got for comfort will protect your hands and wrists when you instinctively try to break your fall with your hands?

Leathers are expensive, but consider the cost of injury. Last fall I wound up in the hospital for a simple staph infection. Nothing but bed rest and IV antibiotics for a week... no surgeries. My out of pocket cost: $750. The hospital billed the insurance company almost $20,000.

IMHO anything you can do to prevent injury, almost regardless of cost, will likely pay for itself the first time you call on it to save your delicate hide.

I choose perforated leather from neck to toe, with gauntlet gloves, proper riding boots and Level 2 back protection. I am entirely confident that I could roll out of that van door and suffer nothing but a bruise.

For my own reasons (which are not yours) I prefer to dress for the crash, and adjust my expectations and routine to accommodate my choice of gear.

That means carrying street clothes in a backpack when I need to change. It means putting up with more heat, and managing that appropriately. It means higher initial costs. But to me it's all worth it because I'm confident that I'm protecting myself.

This is a very personal decision. Your assessment of risk and consequences will differ from mine. Your estimation of the value of money vs, the value of peace of mind and risk reduction will also differ. And most certainly, the balance of comfort vs. protection will differ.

You're free to make your own choice, based on our own priorities. Nobody will look down on you for deciding to wear textile or mesh instead of leather. I've given my reasons. Take it for what it's worth... if my little ATGATT rant makes you think and gets you into the best gear you can buy, I see that as a positive. But if it just gets you to buy decent gear of any kind, it's still a win for all concerned.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote