View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #1
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Name: Mako

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

2008 Ninja will not start...I believe I owe her an apology..PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone! I'm Mako! My first post here. I hope I dont step on any toes...

I am a new rider, Ninja 250r owner and I am glad to meet you all. I am a new member here, as I have heard this is the place to go for Ninjette lovers and intel on proper care for our bikes. With that said, I have an issue I need help with and I hope you all can help! Here is the background:

Approximately 4 years ago I bought a 2008 Ninja 250. I was in college and I was planning on riding it around campus and such and start my motorcycle ridibg life.

Well, it didnt work out as I had hoped.

I put gas in the bike on the way home from purchase and got it home. I rode it around parking lots learning, got my permit and planned for the MSF course. Well, due to school, work and laziness I never ended up riding it much. Maybe a total of 20 miles. It has sat for a couple years (same gas in it as the day i bought it..I know I am sorry. I was an idiot and did not store properly)

I have the time and ability to take responsibility for my beloved bike at this juncture so I put a new battery in, put the key in, and tried to start her up. To my suprise, she started right up. Just as fast as before (the bike was flawless when I purchased. Worked great and fired right up). Well, after about 45 seconds of tough running she stalled out. Now she cranks as normal but will not fire and start the engine.

I I removed the tank, drained it. Tried to drain the carb bowls but just got a light drip of old gas (clogged?). Put fresh gas in with some Seafoam and hooked her back up and still will not fire. My question is:

Is this because my carbs are so incredibly gummed up cause I was a complete moron and didnt store properly? Did I foul the spark plugs? Did water collect in that old gas and when i started it up it ruined my engine? I am not super mechanically inclined and was wondering if the carb removal and clean is easy enough to be done by a noob? I know they can be a pain to get out. My worry is that i wont be able to reassemble. When i took off the gas tank and such I had to color code my hoses so I knew which one went where as well as put screws and clips in plastic bags and label where they cane from. Please help!

I have Seafoam, Berrymans B-12 Chemtool and the tools i need (i believe). I also just ordered: KN-401 oil filter and Rotella T-5 15W-40...new spark plugs and some Berrymans ChemDip.

Any idea why my poor ninja will not start?

Thank you for your time everyone!

TL;DR : An idiot owner started uo his 250 with 4 year old gas in it because he wanted to ride again, and now the 250 will not start. Carb removal and clean?
MakoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote