Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
thanks for all the support, everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
My daughter got stuck on a Rebel and hated it. She repeatedly had trouble finding the pegs when starting off. She now does fine on our Ninja 250.

Don't they also have Suzuki TU250s? Just tell them you're used to sport bikes and don't like feet-forward.
they do have the suzuki. it's not much lower than my ninja, not even an inch, but it's quite a bit lighter so I think I might sit on it and see how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
The Rebel will be fine. My feet didn't touch on the CRF230 I rode for the class. This is why it's not a good idea to ride before the class, the bikes available vary from place to place.
Just follow instructions, everyone there is nervous. The only people watching are the instructors to make sure you are doing things correctly. Stop worrying so much and relax. Take each lesson as it is taught and before you know it, it will be over.
I'm not worried about when doing the lessons. I'm worried about the test. I've read multiple stories now from people that have recently taken a beginner's course and had the same anxieties as me. They all talked about how they did great during the lessons, but then when all eyes were on them during the test, they folded and screwed everything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
My boys both rode the small enduros, but I would have loved to see them on a Rebel (my youngest is 6'4")!

You should be able to try a couple bikes and see what is best.

I agree about the forward foot position - I would have a hard time with it.

Don't be too worried about getting one or both feet flat on the ground. The bikes are small and light, and if you do end up riding a full-size dirt bike you will most likely not be able to touch flat-foot anyway.

It will work out fine. Relax and have fun. Everyone there is learning, and some have never tossed a leg over a cycle before.
here's what I'm seeing with the foot position. I found a pic of a Harley 48. I've sat on one before. the foot peg is not that much further forward then the Rebel. I'm going by a pic of it and the pic of the Rebel (each with a rider on the bike).

Harley - https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...z9L32VcU0dD-M:

rebel - http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...eo-review.html

Now, when I sat on the Harley, my arms and legs were stretched to the max and I was thinking to myself "how the hell do people ride like this????" That's why I'm wondering just how uncomfortable is the Rebel going to be for me. It's not that big of a difference going by the pics.

I plan on getting there a bit early and seeing if I can hop around on and off the bikes to see what feels the best for me. Right now I'm thinking I might just say screw it to getting both feet down and go with the Suzuki. Maybe bring my Heartbreaker boots as a backup

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote