Old July 14th, 2018, 04:18 PM   #20
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I wouldn’t compare myself to the others. In my class, we had multiple people who were already riding (without a license) and were just taking the class as a formality.

I tried a bike with GP shift and forgot how confusing it was to learn how to shift. Neutral is difficult to find on some bikes (KTM). Some will let you shift right through neutral into 2nd. And the friction zones are different as well. I’ll slip the clutch a little more on demo bikes just to be safe.

Basically what I’m saying is if you’re used to your bike, it will take a while to relearn on a different bike. It may actually have hurt you to get used to the ninja. Now you have two things to learn: the bike and the material.
I just couldn't help but compare at the time. I couldn't help but notice how I needed a few extra times to get something when going around the range and they were all just doing it and ready to move on while I'm thinking "hold up here, can i do it once more and try to get everything right this time???" I was getting it, just at a slower rate than they all were. Perfect example, since you brought it up, the reason the older instructor was having to spend so long with me on the shift back and forth from first to neutral exercise is because the bike I was on might go into neutral, or it might go straight into second. then instead of going into neutral it would go into first, and over and over again no matter how slightly i bumped the shifter.

I figured the friction zone would be different, I've driven stick for years, every clutch is different.

I'm usually a very quick learner, but I think because of the group aspect of it causing the anxiety, I had way too many things going on in my head. If I'm going to be in that kind of scenario I need it slowed down a bit so I can relax and get out of my head. that's not possible with so many other people involved.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote