Thread: Highway?!!
View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2019, 12:36 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills dad View Post
Thank you for your input. I prefer to ride her like I want to keep owning her, I know she's getting bad milage in town, but that's alot of stop and go and I'm running the premium. K and N air filter and a TIGA exaust. I also know on the highway I won't get the best milage being she's got a 140 rear instead of the stock 130. Again thank you all for your input!!!!
You should still get decent mileage, even with a K&N and aftermarket exhaust - depending on how you ride it.

My 650 will get 50 mpg in-town, or at about 70 on the hwy, without trying. You should be able to best that with the 250. It drops quite a bit when I cruise around 80 though.

Have you made mixture adjustments to the carbs with shims or jets?

If you haven't increased compression you don't need to run Premium. Extra octane will reduce power and mileage. Can you get ethanol-free 87?

The larger rear tire shouldn't effect hwy mileage. Going up 1 tooth on the countershaft will settle the engine down a bit at hwy speeds, but there is a price to pay in-town in reduced acceleration. Some people don't mind the trade-off, others think it's too much.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote