View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2018, 06:43 AM   #64
Buzzerd
ninjette.org member

Name: Curtis

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Your mention of having an exhaust valve that is maxed out on adjustment reminded me of something I've wondered about.

While doing valve adjustments on my '05 EX250 I've looked at the rocker arm assembly and thought about what I might be able to do if one of my valves ever reached the limits of its adjustment. I haven't gotten to this point yet but I've wondered if you could re-grind the "ball end" of the adjustment screw on the rocker arm to take a little off the top of it, preserving the rounded profile while grinding it, then re-polish the new lower profile to original smoothness.

When you reinstalled it in the head there would be more clearance adjustment available. Sure would beat removing the entire head to replace the valve.

Another thought would be to wonder if you could take a bit of material off the underside of the rocker arm itself, so the adjustment screw could move further upward.
Taking material off of the rocker arm would still leave the adjustment close to maxed out. I might look at shaving a few thousandths of the end of the valve stem if it looks like it might become an issue. The gap is tight now so it may only a matter of time before the valve doesn't fully close. Of course I would rather fix it correctly by replacing the valve and maybe freshen things up a bit while it is apart.
Buzzerd is offline   Reply With Quote