View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM   #66
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzerd View Post
Taking material off of the rocker arm would still leave the adjustment close to maxed out. I might look at shaving a few thousandths of the end of the valve stem if it looks like it might become an issue. The gap is tight now so it may only a matter of time before the valve doesn't fully close. Of course I would rather fix it correctly by replacing the valve and maybe freshen things up a bit while it is apart.
Yes, I was just pointing to the fact that there are two very different paths you might follow in dealing with this issue:

Path 1. try to gain some adjustment without taking the head off the engine.

Path 2. give in and go ahead and remove the head from the engine from the bike for either a quick fix on the single bad valve or to perform a complete refurbishment (most people won't/can't go to this level of effort)

So things like shaving the bottom of the rocker arm and/or re-profiling the adjuster ball-end fall into the much easier "don't remove the head" category which puts you back to riding pretty quickly, while things like shaving off a bit of the valve stem end falls into the much more difficult "go ahead and remove the head" category.

"Shaving a few thousandths off the end of the valve stem" would require removing the valve from the head, which would mean first removing the head from the engine, which, if you're going to go that far why not just order a new valve from a parts supplier?

Your last sentence:
Quote:
Of course I would rather fix it correctly by replacing the valve and maybe freshen things up a bit while it is apart.
Indicates you are willing and able (tools, time, skills) to remove the engine's top end to perform a refurbishment. Most EX250 riders are not prepared/willing to do this level of maintenance.

Most EX250 guys will simply purchase an entire low-miles replacement engine off of Ebay (or similar web sales point). This is because the EX250 is a very high production volume, low-cost, entry-level bike, there exists a great availability of parts from "parted-out" bikes. So treating the EX250 engine as a "disposable" and "remove-and-replace" item often makes more sense than putting in the effort to rebuild. And in your case you might be able to upgrade from a high-miles 2000 year-model engine to a low-miles 2007 engine (this is the path most EX250 guys would take).

They say that the quality of the metallurgical work in both the composition of the metal alloys and the casting of EX250 engine structures improved as the years went by, meaning that later year-model engines were much less likely to undergo valve seat recession.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.