View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:11 PM   #1
CBeth88
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Won't go past 4000 RPM - Help for a non-mechanic?

I’ve had a 2010 EX250 for about 4 years. When I got it, we had a mechanic in the family who maintained it for me. He was extremely useful but a terrible (and unwilling) teacher, so I never learned much about working on the bike. He’s no longer around, so I’ve been trying to manage on my own for the last two summers. Everything has been fine until this past weekend. I went to ride it and it won’t go past about 4000 RPM. If I try to force it beyond that or kick it up to second gear, it just stalls.

I’m relatively handy, but like I said, I don’t really have any mechanical experience beyond changing the oil. Taking it to a shop will be a massive (and expensive) ordeal since it can’t be ridden, so I really want to at least try to fix it myself. But I don’t know where to start. I've been searching this and other forums and the carburetor seems to be a running theme. If I go through the process of dismantling the bike to that point, are there other things I should be looking for? Any other suggestions at all??

I really, really appreciate any help! I want to be self-sufficient and be able to take care of things on my own, but it's hard to figure out from scratch with no one to guide you.
CBeth88 is offline   Reply With Quote