Old April 9th, 2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
Just in the last few years has anyone marketed a helmet intended to reduce concussions. Look up 6-D and some of the latest Bell helmets with "mips" i believe is their marketing term.
This topic brings up the old debate of some of the Snell standards being too tough and resulting in more concussions than DOT or other more relaxed standards. I avoided snell 2010 for exactly that reason, id rather take the higher risk of death in exchange for a helmet that scramble my brain less in a more typical fall. Long term permanent brain injury scares me more than death so give me the softer helmet.
From what I have read, the new Snell is "softer" than the 2010, more in line with the Europe's ECE22.05. What most people don't know is that Snell was initiated to protect race car drivers who are surrounded by roll bars, hence the requirement that they can withstand multiple hits (even if it transfers more G's) in the same spot. Motorcycle crashes aren't too likely to hit the same spot twice in a wreck. I so wish that the G's that helmets transfer to the head were on a label inside the helmet right along with the rating and size label.