View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #8
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Reading about @corksil's recent off, I thought it might help the community a bit if we start a discussion about gearing up for the commute.

ATGATT is easy to justify if you're out for a recreational ride. But what about those times when you need to dress differently at your destination? How do you deal with it?

I'll start:

I'm a full believer in ATGATT and leather gear. My wife's a health care professional and knowing what I know about the cost and impact of hospitalization, it's just not worth the risk to compromise on personal protection.

When I commute, I wear a full two-piece suit - perforated leather jacket with Level 2 back protection, and perforated leather pants that zip to it, plus race gauntlets and touring-type boots. This rig would pass tech at a track day.

Work shirt gets worn under the jacket, or in hot weather it gets carried in my backpack.

I keep a pair of suitable pants in my desk at work, plus a pair of slip-on shoes. I arrive at work, grab the clothes and hit the men's room to change.

In the past I've also used armored overpants and still do, in cold weather.

Non-commutes, I usually just wear my riding pants and boots at the destination, frankly because I really don't care what people think. But if I must dress in street clothes, I just carry them in my backpack and change when I get there. Or, more likely, not take the bike in the first place.

Any other ideas? I do have the luxury of a place to keep stuff at work. Not everyone does.
I have a pair of motorcycle jeans with kevlar stuff inside them that I wear sometimes, but I mostly just wear my alpinestars overpants and jacket over my normal clothes. I take them off when I get to work, but leave the overpants on if I'm going somewhere like a store, or a reastaurant.

Somtimes, I leave my helmet on too. This has the added benefit that little kids think I'm a superhero.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote