View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2021, 09:59 PM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I'ed sujest mixing your own colors but that takes a gift I've never mastered and I can't recomend it, besides you'ed have 6 to 8 quarts of unused paint when your done just to get the shade you wanted ! not a cheap way to go at all !
My Dad could do that but I never could ! LOL.....
when painting a bike I usually bought 4 or 5 cans of black for the frame and then 4 cans for the color and just went with that but these Ninjas have alot of surface area in their fairings and it would take that much for just one piece !
.... I did get into some fancy painting with an airbrush at one time but I doubt I could do that now.... besides I sold my airbrush !
but the neatest paint job I ever saw was a green and gold dragon scale design on a H1 Kawasaki 750 with tuned pipes on it... he came into the gas station where I was working and when he took off it sounded like a jet on take off and he was gone ! ...but that thing had a real good paint job on it !
.... years later when I was working with my Dad at his shop he pointed me to some pinstriping rolls that he bought at a auto supply place he did alot of business with.... it came in various widths and I found I could lay that stuff down MUCH, MUCH, easier than trying to paint pin-striping by hand HAHAHA!
....I have used stincling in the past with real good results there is a gillion ways to do that now, it used to be just lay paper-tape down on the surface and then cut your shape out with a sharp exacto knife.... now they have sprey adhesive that you can just sprey on the back of the picture and apply it and then cut it out... makes it fairly simple !.... logo's and names come out real good if your careful ! and you don't have to worry about the scratch the knife will leave .... as the next color will cover it !
later !
Bob......