View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2022, 03:09 PM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well the new intake pipe arrived a bit ago... took it out there and out the rubber connector onto the back of the carb.... it fit nice and tight. then I took the pipe that came with the kit.... and tried to put it on it fit as well.... but....
the tube itself is way too long and to use it I will have to cut a new hole in the air box and block off the original one.... and doing that will flex the rubber connector tubes that hold the carb on quite a bit....meaning the carb will probably fall off with hard riding... so that's no good.
the new carb sets back a good 2" farther than the original carb does which is the major problem here....and that is too short a distance to make a bend down to the hole in the air box.... as the carb is now higher than the original carb's position so I need to go down and in with the connection from the carb to the air box.... I think it would be alot easier to just fabricate some 2" PVC pipe connectors together and do it that way but I don't want to use a 90deg. connector as it will restrict the flow of air.... I'm thinking a 2" PVC pipe could be heated and bent into the shape I need with a hot air gun
( I have one) but that will require another hole in the air box and blocking off the exhisting hole. ....
obviously I am going to have to make something myself, as the restrictions
of the space is to tight ! PVC is fairly easy to work with, and relitively light compaired to steel pipe, so I'll go with PVC and weld it all together with the soldering iron.
... I could re work the intake manifold I made and angle it down more
which would help quite a bit. but getting that angle would be very tricky !
I could slice the under side of the pipe I welded on it and bend it down slightly , tack it, fit it and see if that is enough, but I don't think one slice would be enough it would need to be 2 or 3 slices and that gets more and more ragged the more you do that....( I know from experience !)
.... But even if I get the carb pointed at the hole in the Air box that still leaves me with hooking from the carb to the air box, but if it'a a straight shot instead of a slight "S" shape it would make it alot easier !
I went to the auto parts store and asked about a 2" radiator hose.... the cheapest one he had was $37.00 so I'll pass on the radiator hose !
so I am left with 2 options Rework the intake manifold I made...
and fabricate a connector pipe of some sort.
or leave it as it is and just fabricate a connection to the airbox the way it sits
..... I am favoring the latter ! LOL
So no progress at all today although I did start it and then did a color check
and I think I have a lean spot about 3000~4000 RPM but I can't be positive by just running it in the shop....
Danno isn't 3000~4000 RPM the area where the Jet needle takes effect ?
so I should LOWER the jet needle 1 clip right ?
I've never liked messing with jet needles in the past but this thing definitely has a flat spot at 3k and 4k RPM.... maybe I should leave the jet needle alone and go with a larger main jet ?
it runs great above that RPM ....
... I'm getting old and forgetful any more ..... it sucks !
later !
Bob........