View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #53
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how long did it take you to feel comfortable again after coming back?
I had about 7000 street miles on the orange R6 before I hit Miller. Miller was a very easy track to learn and had lots of grip so it made the return a bit easier. However, I am still not comfortable to the level I was in my 20's. I am 51 now, a little...no a lot out of shape, but am having fun. I feel like this is the first year that I am actually beginning to get into the form of old and am having fun doing it slowly and methodically. Riding at and instructing track days have been beneficial towards my slow return, but hey, I'm 51 and just having a blast. If I can beat a 20-something....icing on the cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
KrazyMan, you on a 250 in dem 1988 pix?

Was that the old track at Laguna? What a bumpy, scary fast, super fun, very rewarding track that was. I forget when they redesigned it and made it a World Class track. I rode all the old hobo tracks that were so dangerous they have rebuilt most of them.
Cowboy, Yes I was on a TZ250U and I did have the pleasure of riding on the old track, but this was 1988 and the first year of the new track configuration which is why the US got a round of FIM's Grand Prix series which is what you now know as MotoGP.

Below are some pictures from 1983 and 1984 at the old Laguna. The B/W is on my TZ125 in what was the old T9 now T11, and the colored photo is on my TZ250J (#57) in the Corkscrew. Don't think Rossi's pass on Stoner would have worked back then

And as you say, it was bumpy, scary fast, super fun very rewarding, but had a lot of steel armaco barriers everywhere. Airbags....nah we had tires or haybales as extra barriers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1983 afm laguna t9.jpg (103.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1984 ama laguna.jpg (84.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1984 ama laguna t9.jpg (69.0 KB, 8 views)
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote